Cooking, another thing that fits into one of the above categories. This one might just be in the genes. I remember all my life my mother cooking for large groups. Extended family, Church functions, Family Camp, school cafeterias, a hospital, for a fraternity, even at the county fair. Perhaps that is why it has come so easy for me. Working with food for large groups has been a fun thing for me many times. Particularly Girl’s Camp. My most enjoyable years of Girl’s Camp were spent in the kitchen. Lots of fun times, lots of good memories. Of course not all the things I enjoy preparing have to be for large groups we have had some great family meals and small very special, I would call gourmet meals, for Michael and I. Plus lots and lots of experiments, with Internet or magazine recipes. Michael cooks as good as I do, and bakes even better. I left over 200 cookbooks in California. Hobbie, collection or obsession? Maybe talent, who knows?
All through Junior High School and High School I roller skated. I did both dance and free style. Although I did not go real far with it, I was quite good at it and had wonderful times. Having my appendix taken out in my early teens kind of stopped that for a while. It stopped the competition, but I continued to enjoy skating and still do (if I can stand up long enough on them). For a while in California we had a RS Sisters Exercise group that went skating at the rink once a week.
In college I bowled on a league. I will never forget the time I broke 200 for the first time. I still enjoy bowling , but will probably never see another 200 game. Off and on through the years I have bowled with different groups. My mother and I would bowl one day a week for a while. Sometimes some friends from High School would get together and bowl and then go to lunch. We have bowled with the kids and with the grandkids. Recently a group of us from Stone Hollow went bowling together. The last time I bowled I got a 163, that isn't bad! Michael came in second.
In my collection of things are a couple pillow case sized bags of wooden blocks. I love wooden blocks for some reason. I still buy them at yard sales, sometimes only one, sometimes many. I have found a few at places like the DI, I cherish each one. I spell out different words with them, have used them while teaching Relief Society, when I was the Young Women’s President, and as Stake Primary 1st Counselor. I use them here at home to spell out LOVE, PRAY, FAMILY, NOEL, JOY, etc. changing them now and then for the occasion. Some we have made ourselves. Michael has made many of them. I love my blocks.
Wow, I thought I would only have a couple things for this blog in this category, but I just can’t stop without mentioning the coupons. COUPONS! I will stop for a coupon anytime anywhere. I even buy coupons LOL. I can hardly stand to buy anything unless I have a coupon for it. This must run in the family. My sister Paula has started a coupon organization that collects coupons and then sends them to military bases all over the world where our military families can use them at the commissary. Any coupons that I get that I don’t use I send on to her organization. For that reason alone I have become even more vigilant about finding coupons.
Now for the obsession, well one of them at least, there are probably others. I would say my biggest obsession is glass. Yes, anything glass. Platters, glasses, bowls, cake stands, punch bowls, candy dishes,etc. I can barely pass a yard sale if I spot something glass. This includes a few Chrystal pieces as well. It really became an obsession while living in California. I mean really. I was pretty good about letting go of a lot of it when we moved, but I do miss every piece that was left behind. I have a pretty good amount of colored Pyrex mixing bowls (mostly, thanks to Christi) and use them all the time. For some reason glass makes me happy.
Some of my glass
I enjoy scrapbooking, journal writing, categorizing, and organizing all my digital pictures. I spend loads of time on the computer, blogging on this site, playing games, doing our family monthly newsletter, family history, emailing, IM, and just surfing around. I guess my computer would have to go in the obsession area too.
No wonder my days seem so busy and full. Full and fulfilling. Call them what you like hobby, talent, collection or obsession they are all a big part of my life. Maybe some of them are a way to just escape for a time. They all bring me joy.








2 comments:
Ah yes, I'm happy to say that I already knew all of these things all too well. You do have so many talents that I hope to emulate and develop through the years. You have passed the paper doll thing on to Paige which I love. It's a fun, classic, little-girl thing to do. I know that I always think of you when I see jacks and marbles, paper dolls, or pretty glass...
Okay, we all know that I have the glass problem too, really bad. I love glass oil lamps, platters, bowls, cake dishes etc. Mom you have shared your love of marbles & jacks with Sierra, Sierra loves them. I love all the things you listed because each thing you listed is apart of who you are.
Beautiful, fun, creative, talented, and an example to me.
I love you
Post a Comment